So this segment has been online for about a week now and I wanted to write a blog post, but before I did that, I wanted to calm down and get my senses together.
So for those who don’t know this show. There is a show on American TV, called “What would you do?”. It usually shows you an every-day situation, that you might encounter but for the show you will have actors staging the situation. This usually happens in public places like restaurants or on the street. The focus is on the reactions of people who witness the staged situation.
In the case of the video “Christian discrimination”, as they call it on their YouTube channel, the set up is as follows:
A Christian family (actors) is praying over their meal in a restaurant. An atheist (also an actor) is interrupting them. The atheist in this scene is asking them to stop or to pray quietly, to take their religion home and practice it in privacy, etc. This atheist is acting as if anybody was doing her harm or bothering her while in reality, in this scene, the family is simply quietly praying.
Here is the problem:
Atheists are already being mistrusted and disliked. There is often so much hate towards atheists that those people who lost their faith have to be scared to lose their job, family, living situation, friends, and in some cases even their lives. If you are an outspoken atheist in America and a lot of other countries, you will be a social outcast in no time.
Atheists are fighting very hard to remove all the negative stigmata and to be accepted in society while mainly churches and extremist believers keep spreading bad messages and lies about atheism.
WWYD is a very popular show and people are in general gullible. So they are spreading the message that this is a normal, every-day situation, that the good Christians of the world may have to face.
But that is untrue. It depicts atheists as obnoxious people who can’t mind their own business.
Here is reality:
- I know a lot of atheists and none of them, zero, would ever dare to act the way depicted in the video.
- It is indeed religious people who keep imposing their faith on those who do not share their beliefs.
- A lot of atheists fight hard for freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
- Most atheists are for separation of state and church but will not try to remove religion from places where it is legal to practice faith.
- No atheist I know, including myself, would ever impose their own lack of belief on to others.
- No atheist I know, including myself, would ever ask anybody to stop practising their faith.
- Christians are amongst the most annoying religious people, to knock at your door to spread the “good news” or to stop you on the street in order to preach to you. Atheists don’t do that at all.
I am a pretty laid back person and the only time, you will see me acting aggressively when it comes to religion, is when someone tries to convert me. As long as no one pushes their religion down my throat, I will be quiet and mind my own business.
What bothers me most is the lack of response of ABC and/or WWYD after thousands of atheists have responded to this segment in disgust. There has not been an official statement but I see more and more blogs posting about it and more and more atheist activists spreading this. Still no “sorry”, nothing.
Well WWYD is getting lots of clicks, it makes them money. And it is the media, so nothing is easier than to just ignore the angry crowd, right?
I personally have responded to the post they made on Facebook and I sent them a feedback to the show. For privacy reasons, I am not posting my comment, that I made on Facebook. But here is the feedback I provided to the show directly.
Now here a few links:
- This is the video, I am talking about:
- You can give feedback to the show here:
- You can give feedback to the host of the show here:
- You can give feedback to the host of the show here as well:
- Blogs that adressed the problems with this segment:
- Video answer by Jaclynn Glenn:
Feel free to discuss or comment or mail me. Also feel very free to provide feedback to the show itself.